Oct 2, 2010

Pulmonary what?!

Since I keep this blog as therapy and a pregnancy journal, how could I help but not document yesterday's events?  Yesterday ... sucked.  For a few days my breathing has been getting "shallow".  Since it's my 4th baby, and not my first rodeo, I figured, "huh, baby must be carrying high like all of my children..."  Around month 7-8 with all my pregnancies, I cease to breathe correctly as my children prefer at that point to hangoff my tonsils.  Their insistence on being this high in my body creates a tad bit of a space issue for my lungs, and my lungs always lose. 

But ... I am only 22 weeks, so this is pretty early.  Yesterday morning the breathing got a little worse and led to the light headed, pass out, nauseas (more than usual) feeling.  I waited a little while, then thought, "huh, maybe I'll call my perinatoligist (sp) just to make sure this is an okay sign for me and the old uterus."  Apparently ... not a good sign.  The nurse says, "hold on a minute,"  then the doctor ... "blah, blah, come to the hospital NOW, go through the ER and they will page me, pulmonary embolism, don't go to Longmont ER, they can't handle your situation and you'll end up getting life flighted here anyway"  That's about all I heard.  After pulmonary embolism left his lips I thought, "this is it, this is where my death issues have been coming from, I am going to die of a blood clot."

Of course the hospital I have to deliver at is in Denver (40 mins away).  I call Jon, he comes home, and he Caden and I head down to Denver.  Needless to say, it was the ride of hysterics, I already couldn't get a full breath, and the whole, "pulmonary embolism" situation wasn't helping me "relax" and breathe even a little bit.  Long story short ... into the ER,  checked in to labor and delivery a few minutes later, lots of tests, lots of blood, lots of oxygen, and alot of waiting.  The baby was fine (my babies always are, it's my body that gives up on the whole pregnancy situation), and despite my shallow breathing, (still) so am I.  Tests were negative, (yeah, thanks perinatologist for stirring up my death issues) and I have a follow up in a few days.

I still can't catch a full breath, and I am absolutely exhausted (asthma sufferers, I cannot imagine).   It's absolutely wierd ... and sucks, but doctor and tests say it's okay, so I'll go with that until the follow up next week.  Honestly baby, you cannot relocate yourself from my body soon enough.  It's okay you're in there, not your fault, but maybe you could open a dialogue with your current incubation unit (my old uterus) so that you stay in there until you are fully baked.

I've picked your name (even though your Dad says it's a maybe, you're named, and that's what I'm calling you), and I'm not telling anyone until the ink is dry on your birth certificate.  Be grateful I'm not letting your Dad have a say so in this decision ... you're avoiding a major bullet there ... like being named after a sports figure or a state park or a dog.  You're oldest brother was almost named, "Baxter."  Yeah, I know, dog's name. He should be forever grateful I insisted on Andrew instead.  Hang in there baby ... just a few more months for both of us.

4 comments:

Liz said...

Cortney, you will be in my thoughts and prayers. I can't wait to hear what the little guy's name will be when he gets here, and the sooner the better for when he gets here!

Tara said...

This seriously sucks. Getting old sucks. Our bodies just won't respond the way we want them to! So sorry Cortney! I'm sending positive energy your way, as positive as I can manage. :) You are a brave, brave woman!

Amy said...

Cort! When I read the title and the first few sentences I was thinking "she has pulmonary edema" which would cause the blood vessels in your lungs to swell making it difficult to expand. Most women have one area on their body that swells super bad. Ankles fir most chicks. For me? ( stop reading if you aren't Cortney cuz I'm about ready to throw down with the TMI) my vajay jay got so swollen it was like a third leg. I was like a human tripod. I couldn't walk and my doctor literally went "ouch girlfriend that is one angry vagina!!!". So maybe your lungs are doing that? Did they say?

Cortney said...

Thanks girls ... it will all be fine. The baby is cooperating for now ... it's always me that will fall apart, my body protects the baby at all costs! A good thing in the end. Amy ... hahaha. No, no angry vajay ja. Apparently I have an "overabundance" of progesterone. It is "normal" this stage in pregnancy, but apparently not THIS MUCH. It causes breathing issues. Didn't have it with the other 3. This pregnancy is so "special", I tell ya. Oh, and the fact that the kid has now move his chubby self directly into my lungs (ultrasound last week) amazing even the perinatologsit considering they were talking "bedrest" for a too low cervix 2 weeks ago. Yeah, no so low anymore. Baby has lassoed my tonsils and pulled his fat little body right up. Oh baby. Seriously. If mommy can't breathe, that means you don't breathe, so give both of us a break for your self preservation!

AND THE CAT MAKES 5

AND THE CAT MAKES 5
Caesar, aka the "CAT", donning his baseball opening day attire.

Eldridge's Circa 1995