Dec 25, 2010

Happy Holidays Eldridge 2010 Twas the Night Before Christmas

'Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house, Every Eldridge was stirring, including the mouse;
The mouse took up residence in our garage last week,
Driving my panic to a new panicked peak.
The boys were all nestled all snug in their beds,
With Caden still screamin, at the top of his head.
And Drew with his cell phone, texting his new lady friend,
100 new messages, and then pressing, "send".
"Get off your cell phone, or your paying the bill!"
Jon's voice was gruff, staggering, and shrill.
When out from the next room, Bradyn chimed in as well,
"Dad, can I by a new book, Kindle's havin' a sale!"
When out from the third room, there arose such a clatter,
Jon yelled up the stairs to see what was the matter.
Away to the bedroom I flew like a flash,
Sort of muttering and stuttering in my self imposed dash.
Tripped on a lego, and swore just a little,
Watched the dog cock his leg, and threaten to pittle.
"Caesar!  You dumb dog! Get your butt out the door!"
Grabbed my poor foot, legos suck and are sore.
When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
Jon in the front room, with a new look of fear.
Assembling a new toy is always a battle,
Christmas at our house, it's an uphill paddle.
"Oh crap, of course, this things missing parts!"
On to assembly, the three hour start.
To the top of the stairs, down the long darkened hall,
He tripped on the lego, and threatened to fall.
As dry leaves that before the wild hurricane fly,
His arms flung out skyward, as his butt hit the sky.
Whining and crying and hating his life,
He looked my direction, his now laughing wife.
And then, in a twinkling, I heard out the door,
The mouse in our house, looking for more.
"I thought you killed the gross rat last week,
This week for sure, or he'll start to reak."
I was delighted, Jon looked dismayed,
Eyeing the presents, and wondering who paid?
"We did it again, we do every year,
Again bought to much, for our children we fear."
Thier grim little faces if their lists are not read
While they rested soundly in their warm snuggly beds.
A bundle of toys Jon had flung on his back,
And he looked like a peddler just opening his pack.
His eyes -- how they twinkled! his dimples how merry!
His cheeks were like roses, his nose like a cherry!
His droll little mouth was drawn up like a bow,
As he watched me struggle making Christmas just so.
I sorted and struggled and showed all my teeth,
And the smoke it encircled my head like a wreath;
I had a broad face and a little round belly,
That shook, when I laughed like a bowlful of jelly.
I was chubby and plump, a right jolly old elf,
And Jon laughed as he watched me, in spite of myself;
A wink of his eye and a twist of his head,
At now 8 months pregnant, wrapping presents was dread.
My arms felt like jello, my butt felt like lead.
I filled all the stockings; then turned with a jerk,
The baby just kicked me, its one little perk,
To know that he's safe all snuggled inside,
This surprise blessing, now filled me with pride.
I looked at the tree, all the presents arranged,
Then realized my outlook, was slightly deranged,
A house full of love, no matter how nuts,
A spouse with a job, no real worries or ruts.
Little boys sleeping, a fourth on the way,
Soon left me speechless, with nothing to say.
I looked at my husband,
Took a good look at life,
"Merry Christmas to all, and to us a good-night."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

jchljzaut [url=http://ricostrong.net]Rico Strong[/url]

AND THE CAT MAKES 5

AND THE CAT MAKES 5
Caesar, aka the "CAT", donning his baseball opening day attire.

Eldridge's Circa 1995